On a hot and sunny Summer day, borshch can be made in a slow cooker. No need to worry about heating up your house!
- 1 cup carrots, peeled, diced or cut into small match sticks
- 6 – 8 medium size beets, peeled, diced or cut into small match sticks
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup peas ( fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded fine
- 4 cups broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 1 – 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar (keeps the vegetables from turning red from the beets)
- 3 Tbsps. dill weed, fresh, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
Combine all ingredients into the slow cooker. Set on a Low setting for approximately 8 hours. You can cook it on High for 4 – 5 hours, but if cooked slow and low, the flavours really blend well. Serve hot or cold. Add a dollop of sour cream if desired.